Friday, December 9, 2011

Fantasy-Land

Please don't wake me if I'm dreaming. I am pretty much all in on the NBA season already so that naturally draws me to the Cavs and their future. Also those past mistakes. While I think Kyrie Irving will end up being good and I like Tristan Thompson to develop as a shot blocker and post scorer more than JJ Hickson would have, I still have my doubts. I still cannot trust the Cavs front office to make good moves. While the Baron/Mo Williams deal was great, I think Hickson could have gotten the team more in return. Likewise I hope they keep Baron and try and trade him next year, but Antwan needs to go this year. I hope they can get another 1st round pick out of him, but that's just wishful thinking. My hope would be snaggin Jeremy Lamb next year if he comes out. That's really my must have guy for the team.

Other than that I continue to day dream about the Cavs, while still having LeBron, trading for Kevin Martin. It would have been polar opposites, but in this case that is a good thing. Kevin is a striking un-resemblance to LBJ. All 6'7 of him is lanky and finesse to James' brute strength and power. Martin is an efficient scorer, proficient as an outside shooter. The only similarities are the ability of both players to get to the line and the fact that both hail from Ohio, that's about as good a combo as you can get in my mind. Alas now Kevin Martin is in no man's land, either part of a trade or betrayed by his current team.

My other thoughts in this little dream I am dreaming involve Baylor's Robert Griffin III. While I hope beyond all hope that he becomes a Dolphin this coming draft (and also wins the Heisman), I know that there are hundreds of variables and with each Matt Moore touchdown pass it becomes less likely. Now another problem potentially arises, after reading this article on Grantland on the star in Waco, it seems to me that maybe he has a problem of too many options. If I were a general manager I would have to question him on how committed he will be to football. Not in an asshole-ish way, just in a make sure this is the decision you want to make kind of tone. The Olympics trials don't come around very often, and likely won't be feasible for him after playing football. Also he seems to enjoy college a lot and while he can go back later it will be very different. And coming back next year gives him one year of law school (which he may want to continue, yet another delay of his football career) and a chance to take Baylor football to heights it has never seen before. There is just a bit of worry with a player this smart and it might require a different take on scouting than some general managers realize.

posted by Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment