Monday, February 8, 2010

A Validating Win

It would seem that putting up Super Bowl predictions eluded us this year. We are quite busy anymore and rarely talk sports, if we get any free time we actually you know go out and play basketball. Our games are picking up very nicely by the way. Anyways I know I personally picked the Saints to win it and wither Ben did or if you believe me posting this after the big game, you cannot deny we were rooting for them that whole game. My love for New Orleans extends for a few reasons, back in 2007 after the hurricane and when both the Saints and the Hornets made that city come together and be winners for once That and I actually like most of the team, that's hard for me to do nowadays and the playing style.

But I am so over that feel good story, I'm also over Haiti (call me a terrible human being all you want, we have raised so much more money for them and have helped them out more than we ever helped New Orleans), I am more elated for this win because of what it does to Drew Brees' career. He's been an overachiever for years and has deserved at least one league MVP, if not two. So while he is recognized at some level, this win should finally put him in that upper pantheon of star quarterbacks, no longer is he under Peyton after beating him like that. Can we really blame him for coming up short those past few years? He made that whole team overachieve and was stuck with a sub par defense and learning how to incorporate their big name, Reggie Bush, into the offense.

Now all that is gone and he is one of the best quarterbacks of this generation. Better than that always angry Phillip Rivers kid who replaced him in San Diego. Better than Eli Manning who, while being a slightly above average quarterback, doesn't deserve all that money he been given. He's better than Big Ben who rode a running game and defense and good receivers and an under rated line to a couple Super Bowl wins.

My main question is what do they do know? They are undoubtedly going to lose several of those free agents (retain Pierre Thomas, he's amazing, also Darren Sharper is an obvious player to pay), they can no longer be underdogs but I bet they'll still play like they are and will some of that home crowd go away or will it get stronger? Well my real hope is that they add another offensive weapon, strangely enough. What are the Colts going to do with that receiving corps? It seems to me that as long as Anthony Gonzalez is back and healthy with no problems that they like him, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark and Austin Collie all better than they like Pierre Garcon. Well I happen to like Pierre Garcon as a number two option and I think a trade of Devrey Henderson for Pierre would be perfect. Gives the Colts a speedy, consistent, veteran number two and gives the Saints a number two that is more than a just speed guy. Combine the two Pierre's please, it will be beneficial for you, trust me. Then draft defense and offensive line and shop that Jeremy Shockey contract, he's garbage. Also I would like to mention that, no matter how much I always have liked Tracy Porter, he blew some coverage earlier and that pick certainly did make up for it. Actually that's all secondary stuff, the real question is how amazing is Garrett Hartley? Probably the best kicker in the league. I mean no one could make field goals in the post season and Chad Ocho Cinco was a close second best kicker.

Congratulations to the Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints.

P.S. Just a nice article about NBA and overpaying players. Also can't remember if I linked to this awesome dunk by Corey Brewer over Derek Fisher from awhile back, but it's worth a look. Ahh Corey Brewer, how I still love you.

posted by: Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment